Sunday, December 12, 2010

More Christmassy treats

Look what we made!



And they're goooooood :D

Just a basic meringue, but with food colouring stripes down the inside of the piping bag and covered with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes before baking - fancy, aye? And surprisingly easy. The recipe called for 1/2 tsp of peppermint essence in the eringue mix, but as we didn't have any, I told myself that the candy canes would be minty enough. And they were - I don't know any better!

After dinner, I tried the same trick again, as they were a tad chewy for my liking. And I'd eaten them all, so needed some more anyway, but lets not talk about that. The kids helped me, anyway, so they should foot some of the blame. The Mark II recipe contained more than just caster sugar and egg whites, and I intend to let them dry out in the oven overnight, so hopefully they won't be so chewy.

We've had a really fun weekend - Preschool Christmas party, Santa Parade, catch-ups with friends, and just enjoying the lovely weather. In true Canterbury fashion, it's bound to be hideous come camping season, so we need to make the most of it. Here are some pics, taken by the new fandangled Panasonic Lumix FZ100 camera we recently purchased...

Sophie with her Highly Commended prize ribbon that she won for her sandsaucer in the Year 1-2 class at the local show. Cute - and pretty good for someone not even AT school!


Discovering Nana's raspberries...


And preschool party games...



No comments:

Post a Comment