Friday, December 24, 2010

Festive fare

Blogging on Christmas Day! I am truly a tragic creature - or maybe just one with small children who are in bed...

Before I forget, I thought I'd post some recipes of what I contributed to the family Christmas lunch today.

Mulled Wine Baked Fruit



One of the blessings of living in the Southern Hemisphere at this time of year is that fabulous summerfruits are in season! This is made with a combo of fresh pears, peaches, apricots, pineapple, cherries, blueberries, raspberries and bananas. Chances are there is other stuff in there too - if it was in the fruit bowl, it was at my mercy!

I baked it for 20 minutes, then poured over 1/4c brown sugar, 1c red wine, a cinnamon stick and 3 cloves, which I had warmed until the sugar dissolved. After this, I baked it for a further 30 minutes and it was done.

It is best served warm - by lunch time fruits were barely distinguishable - very tasty though!

And Roasted Vegetable Salad



Not much to this one, really. I just threw a whole load of vegetables (including baby new potatoes - sacrilege, I know!)into a roasting dish, added a good shake of balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic and decent olive oil, and roasted for 40 minutes or so. Basically until the cherry tomatoes were bursting and the capsicum was well blackened. I bunged the capsicum in a snaplock bag until the skins slid off easily, tossed through some bacon, sundried tomatoes and lemon juice and it was done.

All in all, it has been a great day - gorgeous weather, happy times, and great food and pressies :D

BTW, kitchen and sandpit proving very popular...

No comments:

Post a Comment